Sunday, January 3, 2016

And the Maiden Name Is....

I recently got birth records for some of my grandfather's first cousins, born in Frederick, Maryland.  They're quite different from Baltimore birth records--and almost illegible.  Birth records should be a great way to find out the mother's maiden name, since she was obviously there at the birth.  But here's the birth record for Sarah Zitelman (later Bassin):

The parents are listed as Morriss (sic) Zitelman and his wife Rebecca "Russian Can't Translate to English."  Apparently Turpentin was "untranslatable"!  Sigh....

Note:  I recently joined Twitter.  Feel free to follow me (@larasgenealogy).


Want to get future blog posts emailed to you automatically?
Enter your email address:

2 comments:

  1. I hope there are some other kids born of this union.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There were. With varying spellings of the mother's maiden name--but at least someone tried!

      Delete