Sunday, August 21, 2016

My Fifth Great Grandfather. Also My Fifth Great Grandfather. Avraham Vizel: Ancestor Deep Dive

Avraham Vizel was my fifth great grandfather in two different ways.  There is quite a bit written about him in the Yizkor book Sefer Maramaros on the page for his town of Bilovitz (also Kis-Kirva and Mala-Kirva; today Kryva).  Avraham (who was apparently called the very creative "Avrum Bilovitzer") is said to originally be from the province of Galicia, nearby Krakow, where he lived with his widowed mother; he was a descendant of the Taz.  While in Galicia, a prominent man in the village was impressed with him and wanted Avraham to marry his daughter--and promised Mrs. Vizel that she would be given money if this would happen.
Bilvaritz Entry in Sefer Maramaros

Avraham did not want to marry this girl, since the girl's father was not a learned man.  Mr. Rich Man didn't take that well, and he went to the authorities and convinced them to draft Avraham into the army.  Avraham fled and ended up in Maramaros.

Once in Bilovartz, Avraham became a farmer who also raised animals.  He lived a very simple life and didn't need material things.  He was a teacher for the Jews in Bilvoritz as well as in surrounding villages.  When people would come to ask him questions, he'd wash up from working with the animals, answer them, and then return to his work.  All of his (Jewish religious) rulings were according to the perspective of his ancestor the Taz.

The Rabbi of Sighet heard about Avraham and came in person to talk with him.  The result of the conversation was the Rabbi of Sighet’s going back to learn specific laws so that he would not have to look them up.

Avraham was also mentioned in the book by Rabbi Rutner which was sent to me 25 years ago (as mentioned here):

Here, Avraham's father was said to be Rabbi Michel, and then there's a bit of confusion.  The book repeats a version of the story about the refused match in Galicia--but it's unclear if it happened to either Michel or Avraham.  Regardless, it says that person (either my 5th or 6th great grandfather) fled to Sapinka (today's Săpînţa, Romania), just 7 kilometers from Bilovartsi, where he was a shochet (ritual slaughterer).  Perhaps Michel did flee to Sapinka, and his son Avraham moved to Bilovartsi.  I need to figure this out.

Avraham had multiple children (I'm descended from both his son Eizik and his daughter Rechel); the earliest birth I have is about 1805, but I'm missing birthdates for the majority of the children (so far).  But this would put Avraham as likely being born 1780 or earlier.

So I know a lot about my double 5th great grandfather--but there's still a lot more to figure out!

Note:  I'm on Twitter.  Follow me (@larasgenealogy).

Want to get future blog posts emailed to you automatically?
Enter your email address:

7 comments:

  1. Trying to find our connection in the Weisel family. We are related directly to Avraham of Bilovartsi as well. Our Great Grandfather is Shaul and Frida. Grandfather is Ephraim and his brothers butchers in the old country. Baruch and Tzvi Hersch

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Where did Shaul & Frida live? When would Shaul have been born? I haven't yet connected all of the Wiesel/Vizel families in the area, although I'm relatively convinced that they're all descended from Avraham. No solid proof at this point though.

      Delete
    2. I just found from the Shoah database Avraham Yaakov Vizel born in Hungary in 1880 to Shaul and Frida married to Gitel (Regina?) nee Ferstinger or Fuerstinger? They had a son Abraham in 1893 Slatina submitted by Alexander Wiezel

      Delete
  2. My husband's grandfather was Ephraim who was married to Tirza (Theresa) Kaufman who is said to be from the lineage of the Baal Shem Tov. Ephraim and Tirza lived in Solatvina or Slatina CZCH He was a Kosher butcher. He was "caught" selling Kosher meat and was put into prison. The wife bribed the judge and got him out on condition that they would leave the country (1934). He begged his 5 brothers to go with him to Israel but they remained. I am convinced that he is an "unknown" brother of Eliezer (the Great Grandfather) Weisel from Sighet. The trouble I am having is that on the stone in Holon Israel where he is buried it only has his name as Ephraim ben Shaul and Frida with no date. I have a picture of it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm running a project for JewishGen that's indexing Solotvina records, among others. Hopefully those will reveal some more information (records are from 1895 on, but there could be deaths in there that can help). No timeline.

      Delete
    2. Hi!
      I have a book that may help you it's call:"התחדשות" by david aviram, he is my grandfather cousin, my grandfather is a fifth generation to rabbi avraham son after son.
      Dror.

      Delete
  3. Please post the link. I would like to get it. Thank you. L Muskal

    ReplyDelete