Monday, March 5, 2018

Taking the Diamonds Back--Another Generation

I've gotten many of my family lines back centuries, but the Diamonds have always been a brick wall.  I knew my great-great grandfather (Hillel), and that was it.  My grandfather had told me the names of some of Hillel's children and had also said that there was a rumor that he had been married before he wed my great-great grandmother Hinda.

Well, the rumors were true--and by verifying them, I've gotten back another generation in the Diamond family.
Yankel Diamant Birth Record

Yankel Diamant (my grandfather had told me that his father had a brother Yaakov) was born on February 1, 1861 (3 Adar).  (Note that February 1, 1861 should have corresponded to 21 Shvat, so the February 1 date is according to the Julian calendar.)

Yankel's father was given as Hillel son of Leibish Diamond; Leibish would be my great-great-great grandfather.  This makes sense, since I knew that Hillel had a son Leibish, whose grandson I recently met.  And so I finally have another generation in the Diamond/Diamant ancestry.

I also learned that Hillel lived in Kiselin, which is right near the larger city of Torchin, where I believed the Diamonds originated.  And I learned that Hinda was not Hillel's first wife, as in 1861 his wife (and the mother of Yankel) was Sima daughter of Chaim.

I have another new document that gives some interesting information about Sima--but that will be in an upcoming post!

Note:  I'm on Twitter.  Follow me (@larasgenealogy).

Want to get future blog posts emailed to you automatically?
Enter your email address:

No comments:

Post a Comment